curious black cat sniffing glass of wine in ladies hand

Can Cats Drink Wine?

No, cats should not drink wine.

Alcohol is extremely dangerous to cats.

Even as much as one tablespoon of wine can be enough to cause extreme liver and brain damage and even death.

Fortunately, alcohol/ethanol poisoning in cats is very rare as almost all cats will have no interest in drinking wine once they have smelt it.

If your cat is one of the rare exceptions who seem to be particularly interested in wine then we recommend you distract them with some purpose-made, alcohol-free, catnip-based wine for cats instead.

Dangerous encounters with alcohol are more likely to happen when the alcohol is mixed with something that a cat likes.

For example, a cat may be tempted to drink a milky cocktail or a creamy Baileys if there is sufficient milk present in it.

Ethanol can also be absorbed through the skin, in rare cases this can also result in poisoning.

Ethanol is commonly found in ink, dye, paint, scents, disinfectants, mouthwashes, petrol and more so if your cat has got covered in one of those they may be in danger of alcohol/ethanol poisoning.

Symptoms Of Alcohol Poisoning In Cats

If your cat has drunk alcohol then watch out for these warning signs.

Typically it will take no more than 30 minutes for symptoms to present themselves, however if your cat has recently eaten it could take a couple of hours.

Symptoms can include:

  • Vomiting
  • Drowsiness
  • Disorientation
  • Lethargy
  • Confusion
  • Excessive urinating
  • Excessive thirst
  • Slow reflexes
  • Slow heart rate
  • Shallow breathing
  • Seizures
  • Shaking
  • Unconsciousness
  • Paralysis

What To Do If Your Cat Has Drunk Wine Or Alcohol

If you notice any of those symptoms you should get your cat to the vet immediately, waiting to see if they sleep it off could result in their death.

If your cat has drunk a very small amount of wine hopefully they will suffer no ill effects.

However, this will depend on the amount drunk, the percentage of alcohol in the wine, and the size of your cat.

If you’re not sure what to do we recommend you either phone your vet or speak to one online.

Ask a Vet

If you think your cat may have ingested a small amount of alcohol then speak with a vet ASAP to help you work out how serious it is and if they need to be seen immediately.

JustAnswer allows you to talk in real-time to veterinary experts for a small fee:

Wine Poisoning Treatment

How your vet will treat your cat will depend on how severe the poisoning is.

In most cases intravenous fluids will be given to rehydrate the cat.

It may also be necessary to give the cat medication designed to reduce CNS depression and prevent alcohol from being metabolised.

In severe cases, your cat may require help to keep it breathing so an oxygen mask may be used.

Providing treatment happens quickly then the effects of the alcohol and the associated symptoms should begin to wear off within 8 hours and your cat should be back to normal within 12 hours.

Also Read:
Can Cats Get Drunk?
Is CBD Good For Cats?

As an Amazon Associate I may earn a small fee from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This helps us run the site, so thanks for your support!