Cats are the best, they make our lives better and give us companionship with their fluffy cuddles and nonchalant attitudes.
While we can all spend hours watching funny cat videos there’s something else that can bring a smile to our faces when we are feeling low;
That’s right, sometimes you just need some silly cat-related puns to cheer you up, we get it and we’ve got your back.
This page is our thesaurus of the best cat-related puns ever.
Read on for a list of funny, entertaining and unique feline puns that we challenge you to throw into conversations whenever you see the opportunity.
Oh, and remember, the humour of a pun may come from its poor quality so even bad puns are actually good!
Easy Cat Puns – The Classics
Let’s start off with the classics, the puns we hear most often. We are sure you’ll have heard these puns before but that’s not going to stop us.
These classics are also some of the easiest to integrate into conversations too so take note.
- Feline = Feeling – “I’m feline fine!”
1: General state of consciousness.
2: A particular physical sensation. “Spending time with my pets gives me a feline of warmth”
- Meow = Now – “Feed me right meow.”
2: At the present time. “You are meow using the cat flap”
- Kitten = Kidding – “Stop kitten around”
1: Something that is said or done playfully or jokingly.
2: Facetiousness. “All kitten aside, cats are the best pets.”
- Paws = Pause – “Sometimes you just have to take paws and enjoy the puns.”
1: A temporary stop in action or speech
- Pawsession = Possession – “My cat was found in pawsession of catnip.”
1: Holding something/ ownership of something
2: “He packed his pawsessions into his travel crate ready for our trip”
- Clawsome = Awesome “How clawsome is this new cat bed?!”
1: Causing awe.
2: Slang for something that is very impressive. “My cat is clawsome”
- Paw-lease = Please “Paw-lease top up the cat food bowl”
1: To ask politely
2: You can say this independently (with attitude) to stop someone doing or saying something or to get your point across “Oh, Paw-lease!”
- Meowntain = Mountain “What do you call a pile of cats? A Meowntain”
1: A huge amount
- Litter-ally = Literally “I litter-ally pooped in there an hour ago and it’s disappeared!”
1: Used to emphasise what you are saying
- Cat-astrophe = Catastrophe “It was a cat-astrophe when all of the cat treats were finished”
1: A mishap, failure or disaster
- Fur-real = For real “I’ve only had 12 hours sleep today, I’m exhausted fur-real!”
1: Used to emphasise that something is genuine or true
- Pawsitive = Positive “Stay pawsitive!”
2: Stating or admitting of no question “We have pawsitive proof that your cat is having kittens”
Something A Little Different
The classics are a great go-to, especially if you are new to puns.
Now we are raising the bar and bringing in some puns that a little bit different.
These ones are going to be slightly more difficult for you to integrate into a conversation but if you manage to work them in smoothly and confidently, you will reap the rewards.
We challenge you cat-lovers to use one of these puns this week.
- Meow-t = Me out “They are taking meowt for lunch on Caturday”
- Meowst = Most “Napping is the thing I love meowst”
- Pawfully = Awfully “She behaved pawfully when the groomer visited”
1: In a manner provoking disapproval
2: very/ extremely “That is pawfully kind of you”
- Furmiliar = Familiar “A cat in a cardboard box is a furmiliar sight”
1: Commonly known
2: Well-acquainted “The two cats are furmiliar with each other”
- Befur = Before “Whenever I go to my room the cats go befur me”
1: Ahead or in advance
2: Previously “If I’d known befur I would’ve brought her”
- Cathletic = Athletic “Once the cat saw the dog it was clear he was much more cathletic than we first thought”
1: Physically active
- Efur = Ever “Never efur steal my catnip again”
- Hiss-terical = Hysterical “The child was hiss-terical when the cats left to go outside”
1: Uncontrollably emotional or relating to hysteria
2: Irrational due to fear or emotion
3: Something very funny – causing unrestrained laughter “that joke was hiss-terical!”
- Infurior = Inferior “There’s no doubt that cats think humans are infurior”
1: Lower in rank
2: Poor in quality
- Mewmaid = Mermaid “She is such a mewmaid”
1. Marine creature with the head, torso and arms of a cat and the tail of a fish (we hope it wouldn’t try and eat itself!)
2. a skilled feline swimmer.
- Tailerates = Tolerates “Kitty tailerates the dogs”
1: Allows the presence without hindrance
2: Put up with
- Unfurtunately = Unfortunately “Unfurtunately there is no cat food left”
1: bad luck
Purr Related Puns
When it comes to cat-related puns, the word ‘purr’ is widely used.
There are a lot of ways you can create pawsome puns using ‘purr’, so much so that we have decided to dedicate a whole section to them!
These are our favourite ‘purr’ related cat puns, with this list you’ll have puns for every occasion. Perhaps we can put a smile on your face with these purrfectly goofy puns.
- Purr-fect = Perfect “There is nothing more purr-fect than snuggling with a cat”
1: Having desirable qualities or characteristics
2: Conforming to the description of an ideal “A purr-fect cat”
- Whispurr = Whisper “’It’s dinner time’ I whispurr to kitty”
1: to speak quietly.
2: to utter soft sounds. “We can’t hear you if you whispurr!”
- Purr-amid = Pyramid “Look, all the kittens together form a purr-amid!”
1: A quadrilateral mass that has smooth, steeply sloping sides meeting at an apex
2: Anything of this form or arrangement
- Purr-suasive = Persuasive “Look at the purr-suasive look in her eyes”
1: Able to persuade
2: To prevail someone to do something by urging them
- Purr-haps = Perhaps “Can I purr-haps cuddle your cat?”
2: Express uncertainty “Did your cat ignore the cat scratching post and scratch the sofa instead? Purr-haps”
- Purr-ty = Pretty “Look at these purr-ty kittens”
1: To look pleasant
2: Charming in appearance “Oscars new collar is so purr-ty”
- Purrsonality = Personality “A cat’s most important trait is their purrsonality”
1: The embodiment of qualities
2: Aspects of one’s character “Grumpy cat has a curious purrsonality”
Oh, and what’s a cat’s favourite colour?
Purrple of course!
Funny Feline Puns & Jokes
Now, it’s time to up the stakes. We have given you loads of words you can now use in general conversations and it’s up to you to create hilarious jokes and sentences around them, although our examples are pretty good.
In this section, we’ve done all of the work for you so if you are in need of some funny feline puns you’re in the right place.
Good luck throwing these a-mewsing puns into conversations.
It takes a special kind of cat lover to work these into day-to-day life, but we believe in you.
- What kind of car does a cat drive?
- What did the cat say when he found out he was bankrupt?
I feel so paw!
- What do you call it when a cat paints itself?
A self pawtrait
- What’s a cats favourite subject?
- What do cat’s wear to bed?
- What do you call two cats who love each other?
- What did the cat say when he saw you approach?
You look pawfully familiar!
- What’s a cats favourite kind of show?
- What do you call the cat police?
- What did the cat say when it was confused?
- What did the cat say when the mouse got away?
You’ve got to be kitten me!
- What did the cat say when he lost all his money?
- What did one cat say to another?
Have you heard the mews today?
- What did the senior cat say to the kitten when she saw him slouching?
You need to pay more attention to your pawsture
What do you think of these puns? Absolutely appawling? Or maybe… Clawsome?!
Our personal favourite was “what kind of car does a cat drive?”.
Festive Christmas Puns
Wave goodbye to the usual festive greetings by adding a cat-related twist.
Christmas cat-related puns are ideal for use in Christmas cards which are being sent to the cat lovers in your life or they can, of course, be used in person when the relatives come over or Christmas dinner
One of the best things about festive puns is that there’s ample material to use.
If you are looking for festive feline puns, here’s a few classics you can throw in:
- Santa / Mrs. Claws = Santa/ Mrs. Clause
- Santa Paws = Santa Clause
- Meowy Christmas = Merry Christmas
- Deck the Paws = Deck the Halls
- Howlidays = Holidays
Our festive feline safety guide for cats and Christmas trees!
Feline Valentines Day Puns
It’s not just Christmas that can be enjoyed using cat puns… Valentine’s day is also an opportunity not to be missed:
- Smitten Kitten = Smitten
- Meow or Never = Now or Never
- Furrever = Forever
- Pawty = Party
Want to start your valentines with a smile? Try these:
- Today would’ve been clawful without you!
- It would be a cat-astrophe if you don’t date me.
- I think you’re purretty!
- I like your cattitude.
What Are Cat Puns?
Cat puns use words related to cats to emphasize or suggest a different meaning, it’s basically a play on cat-related words.
Some people believe that the use of puns is a sign of intelligence, puns are great fun but they are a bit like marmite in the sense that people either love them or hate them.
We could all do with a little more humour in our lives and puns are a brilliant way to lighten the mood, for cat lovers what’s better than making up your own cat-related puns for a good laugh?
How To Make Up Your Own
Welcome to the diverse world of puns, it is now time to use everything we’ve shared with you to create your own puns. Remember that a pun is what you make of it, be witty and have fun. Arguably, the most important thing about puns is not taking yourself too seriously.
When it comes to making your own cat puns, if a sentence contains one of these words or something that sounds similar you can generally make it into a cat-related pun quite easily:
cat, fur, paw, pet, purr, his/ hiss, pet, feline, kitten, claws, meow, whiskers, catnip, kitty, catty, cattish.
- “I haven’t cat all day!”
- “I’m not feline well today.”
- “You’ve got to be kitten me.”
- “Are you pawsitive?”
- “Help meow-t”
- “I have Probable Claws“
Guide To Becoming a Pun Master
Becoming a pun master is easier than you may think. First of all, remember that no pun is actually good.
With this in mind, say whatever pun comes to mind and make sure you laugh about it.
No matter what reaction you get (prepare for some groaning and eye rolling from your friends) always laugh. You can use puns at any time and the less obvious the pun the better.
Our Top Tips:
- Don’t overthink – the best puns come naturally so don’t force them.
- Keep Punning – the more puns you make the better they will become and the more you will think of so keep it up.
- Confidence is key – puns have the power to lighten the mood so enjoy them and say them aloud with confidence.
- Try to avoid the obvious puns everyone has heard before
- Recognize the window of opportunity
- Only pun if appropriate for the room and occasion
- Don’t overdo it
Cat Name Puns
Thinking of introducing a new cat to your family?
Whether you’re adopting a new family member or your current cat has had kittens, naming a pet is always fun.
Increase the joy by using a play on words.
We’ve handpicked some of the best cat names that are sure to put a smile on your face.
These names just seem to work for cats, they are perfectly goofy and can often suit the personality of your beloved feline friend:
- Brad Kitt
- Cindy Clawford
- Katy Purry
- Moewgret Scratcher
- Jude Paw
- Mewcauley Culkin
- Luke Skywhisker
- JK Meowling
We know that cat puns are without doubt the best animal-related puns but if you’d like to broaden your material, here are some of the best animal puns to use at your leisure:
- “Bear with me”
- “None of your bee’s wax”
- “Not all it’s cracked up to bee”
- “Grab the bull by its horns”
- “He’s a little crabby”
- “Nervous rex”
- “Ruff around the edges”
- “Mutt as well”
- “I didn’t do it on porpoise”
- “Will you stop spouting your nonsense”
- “There’s some-fin I would like you to know”
- “I’m feeling a bit eel”
- “Your comment is errelephant”
- “Ivory now and then”
- “Are you up to the tusk?”
- “You herd it here first”
- “Any fin goes”
- “You can depond on me”
- “You’ve goat to be kidding”
- “You goat it”
- “I was diskoalafied”
- “No probllama”
- “You herd it here first”
- “Above owl”
- “Owl of a sudden”
- “Hoot have thought it would be so easy”
- “Boared out of my mind”
- “You’re skating on fin ice”
- “Don’t call us, whale call you”
The Cat’s Out of the Bag
That’s a wrap, you now have everything you need to make your friends and family smile using cat puns.
This encyclopedia of cat puns brings you the best of the best.
Better yet, you can create many, many more using the information we have shared.
Whether you are brand new to the world of puns or you were just looking for some cat-related inspiration, we hope you have found what you were looking for here.
One thing is for sure, we were smiling while writing this so we hope you’ve been smiling while reading it.
As a cat lover, the chances are you’ve already used a cat pun or two without even realizing it and it’s likely some of these puns are going to become part of your everyday life.
We support that fully and something tells us your kitty does too!
Go and have fun with these and if we missed any paw-some puns be sure to share them with us in the comments.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn a small fee from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. This helps us run the site, so thanks for your support!